Things got a bit worse last night. It turns out Scarlett has an infection. Her upper right lung collapsed and that explains why she was struggling to breath last night. They started her on antibiotics to hopefully knock that out fast and they've been giving her Albuteral treatments to open up her lungs. Her hematocrit was also low, so they are going to give her a blood transfusion. Scarlett is such a fighter, she is strong and I now she can make it through this.
Scarlett had an opthamologist look at her eyes today. She's been having a hard time focusing with them, so Dr. Simmons was concerned she may be blind. The eye doctor said, though, that the anatomy of her eye is normal. Time will tell whether she is or not, but it seems like today she was focusing them a bit better, and I'm pretty sure when I was taking pictures of her today, her eye winced when the little red light flashed.
Jon's parents came down to visit today. We appreciate so much their words of comfort and encouragement. When Jon and his twin brother, James, were in the NICU, they worried so much, too, and weren't sure at times if they would even live. I am now having those feelings. It's the worst feeling in the world.
Tonight when we went in to see Scarlett, the nurse told us that Scarlett had a reaction to her transfusion. Her skin had turned all red and blotchy The doctor and all the nurses said they had never seen that in a newborn before. Great, I thought. Luckily when they stopped the transfusion, the blotchiness went away and she seems to be okay.
I decided to wash Scarlett's hair after hearing all this news. She seems to like it when I do that and tonight wasn't any different. I couldn't hold her or do much comforting other than this, so I spent a long time massaging and pouring warm water over her head. I loved doing that.
Her hair curls right up when it gets wet!
Jon is an amazing man and father. He loves Scarlett to pieces! You can see it in his eyes when he sees her and talks to her. He watches over her like a hawk as the nurses adjust her in her bed or do procedures on her. He wants to make sure Scarlett is comfortable and is being treated with great care. I've always been grateful I have Jon and known how wonderful he is, but it hasn't been until now that I realize how truly great a man he is. There is no way I could get through this without him by my side.
Scarlett seemed so peaceful as she slept tonight. That is the way I like to leave her at night, knowing she is comfortable and content.
We don't know what is wrong with Scarlett, but I have to endure this well. I have to keep positive and trust in the Lord. I love my dear Scarlett. She has become a part of my heart. I want so badly for her to be home and in my arms, but I know she is where she needs to be to rest and to heal.








